- Increase the Personal Tax Allowance Immediately to $120,000
Since 2006 however inflation which has averaged a minimum of 9% has stolen purchasing power away from salaried workers and persons on fixed incomes. At the same time food prices have averaged annual increases of 17%.
To mitigate this patently unfair reality the personal tax allowance should be expanded equivalent to the rate of inflation which means tax allowances in 2014 should be at least $117,000. Any intellectually and morally honest Ministry of Finance should embrace this principle so as to offer relief to an already over taxed population.
- Immediately Discontinue Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses (GATE)
There is no doubt that determined and industrious students will make the right choices and succeed academically and in their careers with or without the governments help. The artificial intrusion by the state however skews natural market and social dynamics and yields perverse effects contrary to what was originally intended.
- Removal of the Gasoline Subsidy
The subsidy inadvertently acts as an incentive to use more gasoline. Therefore if persons in T&T paid the true higher cost of gasoline there would be a natural decline in gasoline consumption and traffic woes would decrease.
Instantly removing the subsidy would force drivers in particular to be more judicious in whether they opt to use their vehicles. They would suddenly become more conscious of what will instantly become a more scarce/valuable resource and take steps to minimize its use.
- Improve the Crime Fight and Improve Accountability By Publicly Publishing Quarterly Prosecution Statistic of Prosecutors, Judges and Police officers.
- Remove Completely The Onerous Inefficient Regulatory System That Severely Stymies The Supply of Homes
- Abolish the Housing Development Corporation (HDC)
A simple calculation would indicate that each of the 4900 houses delivered many of which had design deficiencies and poor workmanship cost the taxpayer a staggering $46,000,000 per home.
In fact given that the gov' t builds homes primarily on state lands with the typical modest home construction costing around $600.000 privately, the state should have delivered 378,000 homes for the price tag of $227 billion.
Of course; most of the money was siphoned away by the politically connected; even whilst housing applicants are lulled into a state of paralysis waiting for an illusive substandard home -instead of trying to acquire a home privately.
- Completely DIsmantle CEPEP
- Strip all Priority Bus Route Passes from all Politicians and Political Appointees
- Mandate Customs and Excise Be Open for Business 24/7
- Begin the Decriminalization of Recreational Drug use.
In fact the mere attempt to criminalize narcotics increases the prices and consequently benefits producers and serves as the incubator for crime, gang activity and corruption.
Meanwhile persons intent on getting their hands on drugs for personal use, get it regardless and pose a threat to no one but themselves when consumed. If unfortunately they are caught, their lives are ruined because of their criminal record and they have no choice but to turn to a permanent life of crime to sustain themselves, creating a permanent criminal underclass.
- Differentiate Oneself